Monday, February 23, 2015

The best laid plans of Mice and Misses

Soooo I planned the class this time - sorta kinda.

Filled in the blanks with all the right information
Had objectives worked out - overall and for each content section
Had activities thought of

And then -  Stuff happened!

First class started late 5:50pm - due to us having to relocate to a smaller classroom since the class numbers are small.

Then only four people were present so we decided to have the discussion about the movie to start off the class.
Then a new person arrived so we had to not only recap the discussion but also give a movie synopsis (well I didnt have to but I did - which took up quite a bit of time) - NEED TO MONITOR TIME BETTER
Then another student arrived and the conversation extended even further
Then I finally moved into the review - which should have been the first activity at about 6:30pm

The review was terribly done - despite my reminder at the start of the presentation that it should be structured in a particular way.

So after having each class member give one good criticism and one negative criticism, I then launched into a mini lecture complete with demonstration, as to how a speech SHOULD be structured. Which - they found interesting and were very engaged by but which was not on my plan for today - SIGH.
at 6:505pm I showed the ppt on Game Face - presenting with the manner of a confident speaker. (there were technical difficulties - I need to have my other laptop to use for presentations.) They also appeared engaged and I took it to about 7:15 then we had the break.

After the break at 7:30 class resumed with the homework presentations.

Each group presented on their content area while the others critiqued for something positive, something to be worked on and should have also written two content questions for me to use as a closing quiz - the questions plan did not go as expected. persons found it challenging and with the time remaining not being very much, I forgot about that part.

After each presentation I had the students critique and then I critiqued, and then I gave a mini lecture on the area.
We covered the nervousness - pretty much everything
We covered posture and breathing - We did the posture exercise and I expounded on diaphragmatic breathing as was introduced in a student presentation.  They get the concept and this needs to be followed up with breathing and speaking exercises.

We then had  the organs of articulation  and I gave some examples.

Closed with instructions to practice for next weeks assessment told them how to practice and told them to expect impromptu speech topics for their exercise.

Promised to give the assessment after the break next week and also to allow for practise next week in the early part of class.

Homework is to find articles or videos on Vowel Sounds, Monophthongs, Diphthongs and Tripthongs and post with summary to the blog.

They are also to tell me how many speech sounds are in their first name.


We need to do the reserve breathing exercises , plus find the moo voice and also the Ariella exercises that I have recorded.


Challenges today - no manual - so they did not all see the diagrams for posture and breathing and articulation. Also cant assign reading in prep for class

We did not do the impromptu speaking exercise - so they lost the opportunity to practice.


What do I want to do?
Next week  - impromptu speaking exercise
Class recap
Homework discussion? - nope new teaching with their references to the homework postings I NEED TO READ THE POSTS

Need IPA symbols printed poster size and laminated - vowels for next week.  Figure out a game to play to consolidate the learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment